Wednesday, August 15, 2007

An odd feeling


Tristan has broke his arm... I am not sure what I feel... I was very sad for him during the painful parts of breaking his arm. I was frustrated with the medical unsystem. And I was fascinated at the x-rays and the way they fixed his arm, the medicine they used, the vibe running through the hospital. And I was feeling the way some parents feel when their children return from grad party, like my treasure which I cultivated had grown and passed through a rite of passage. Odd... I feel, breaking an arm is not a rite of passage, or maybe it is. I felt strange at the mixture of feelings...I imagine the perfect mom where ever she be would only feel sadness and would be shocked at my feelings. I was very impressed with Tristan's strength and resilience throughout his ordeal. I was also taken by his compassion for others in pain and his own interest in his x-rays and the intelligence his questions showed. I was also happy that Tristan and I shared this experience. I can not remember the last time that Tristan and I cuddled for 8 hours straight. In the car between hospitals (yes, there was two), Tristan said that he wanted to cuddle at the next hospital. I remember when Tristan was little I held him all the time, literally. One time I held/nursed him for 6 hours straight. Now that Tristan is older we sadly cuddle little. Tristan will often ask to be cuddled at bedtime. Many times I will feel frustrated with his requested due to over cuddling from Bowen. This experience reminds me that Tristan and I need more cuddle time..period. Tristan has been asking all

1 comment:

SAH in Suburbia said...

Yikes, sorry to hear about the broken arm. I understand your feelings. Middle child was in the hospital after Christmas almost 2 years ago and it truly changed my perspective on a lot of things. Having to leave him with his dad there overnight was torture EVEN though his dad was with him. Driving home that night in the rain was one of my saddest moments.